Ever had that uncomfortable feeling when you took a chance by hiring a contractor from an unreliable source? Taking a risk with your money and security is something every homeowners needs to minimize and make careful decisions on.
Here are 9 warning signs to look for.
1. They knock on your door to offer you a discount for forwarding customers to them.
2. They offer “lifetime” warranty or a “Guarantee” that sounds too good to be true.
3. They ask for immediate full cash payment upfront.
4. They are extremely pushy and pressure you to make a decision fast.
5. They ask you to get local approval requirements (permits) from the municipality. Licensed contractors typically navigate this process to show the municipality that all work is being done to meet safety codes and they will plan to be present for required inspections.
6. They ask you to sign documents or contracts with blank spaces in them that they will fill out after you sign it.
7. They suggest a moneylender they know who will help you finance.
8. They pressure you to agree to loan terms for contractor financing without comparing with different lenders.
9. They make you believe they have left over materials from previous jobs and that this is an advantage to you.
To empower yourself against unethical business practices: Always keep good records of communication and documentations. We recommend using certified mail and requests receipts for everything.
Check out our next blog post “How to Find and Hire a Good Contractor.”
Come back soon to stay up-to-date!